The new bedroom tax will affect approx half a million people. This change affects council tenants, and those who rent from housing associations, who are housing benefit claimants. It does not affect private sector tenants who are already subject to certain rules.
If tenants are deemed to have one spare room, the amount of rent eligible for housing benefit will be cut by 14%. If they have two or more spare rooms, the cut will be 25%.
- Two children under 16 of same gender expected to share
- Two children under 10 expected to share regardless of gender
- Disabled tenant or partner who needs non-resident overnight carer will be allowed an extra bedroom
- Foster carers will be allowed an additional room so long as they have fostered a child, or become an approved foster carer in the last 12 months.
- Adult children in the armed forces will be treated as continuing to live at home when deployed on operations
In addition, local councils have been advised to allow an extra bedroom for children who are unable to share because of their severe disabilities.